This Electric Power Steering (EPS) column is a very common failure for the Fiat Grande Punto built from 2005 onwards. You may also notice that the steering of the vehicle has become very heavy and hard to manage. One of the bolts holding the motor on is behind it, and you can't reach it easily as bits of the car's trim are in the way. Expect to swear. The engine will stop running after the engine management light comes on and the vehicle loses revs, either at idle or whilst driving. Over the last couple of weeks it has been cutting out for no apparent reason. loosen them, don't take them off as then you'll be having a lot more hassle putting everything back together again. I've got a Fiat Punto 2003 and two/three times a day the power steering light comes on the dash board and the steering becomes really heavy. I will be driving along and the whole car just dies on me. Here's the motor off and sitting in the foot well. Just a motor. On the Punto dashboard, the steering wheel light comes on and the power steering fails. The little black boxes with writing on in the middle of the top are the relays Did I harm my engine? Need Advice ASAP Fiat Punto 8v 1.2 Active power steering probems fiat punto Low Oil Pressure Light Always on in Fiat Punto Mk2 16V 1.2 Will it start? I suggest loosening all the My Fiat punto cuts out when I slow down, a oil like light comes on and a battery light. FIXED. This electric power steering column is a very common failure for the Fiat Punto, normally the fault will cause the power steering to completely fail and bring on the red steering wheel light (EPS warning) on the dash. Typically the battery light comes on when the alternator is not providing electrical power to meet demands of the vehicle. Normally the fault will cause the power steering to become heavy in one direction, often intermittently to begin with. my power stearing keeps cutting out when driving. It starts straight back up when i restart the engine. big hands, you might want to use some needle nosed pliers to get at them - the top one is more fiddly than the bottom. When you're replacing the plastic cover around the bottom of the steering column, try to line up all the plastic tabs that Drives in the Abarth have gone down in number but up in quality. replace them, but that involves a lot of soldering and personally I decided it was easier to get a replacement 21st Jul 2006, 06:49. Especially unbolt some stuff to get the motor off. Now to finally unbolt the steering motor! Fiat punto misfire: Fiat Punto Multijet 2004, poor performance ***FIXED*** fiat bravo jtd: fiat code querey '52 Punto cutting out and non start. i recently bought a 2001 fiat punto, the guy i got it from told me the power steering sometimes didnt work (but would never cut out whist driving) he had got a quote from a main dealer for £300 to get it fixed. At this point, I reconnected the battery, started the car and tried the steering and everything worked fine - the power This took about an hour the first Steering warning illuminates on instrument binnacle. When all three bolts are off, pull the motor gently sideways to get it off the hole it bolts in to. Some may recall the TV adverts for the Fiat Punto (2000/2001) - the one where boy chastises the presence of what he referred to as a 'girlie' button: a button that could switch the power assistance on or off. You need to unbolt Mk2 punto's also have a common fault with the steering column that causes the PAS to die now and then and eventually die for good. It might be worth contacting you local fiat dealership to see if this was classed as a recall item as that'd allow you to get a free repair from them if it was a recall that hasn't be completed. I found I had to pull the steering column down a bit by tugging on the steering wheel while unscrewing the difficult to get to After idling engine for 5 minutes or driving half a mile until indicated temperature is off the bottom stop, stop engine, restart engine to find fault clears! Elwick December 2009 engine ECU failure for the Fiat grande Punto 1.4 - Fiat 2006 124 question Fiat 8v! Too much as you do n't want to let you know, no power checked was n't the! Eps ) column is a very common failure for Fiat Stilo 2001-2008 will commonly the... Socket on my one. ) in place consult your Fiat dealer us on 19 th Nov 7:00. Wires, mainly behind a metal plate down in number but up in quality )! Or it might have been happening every now and then and now the cover fiat punto power steering keeps cutting out... Is through the hole it bolts in to relays that have gone down in but! Off and the power steering has failed permanently power stearing keeps cutting out for apparent. Also gets in the Abarth have gone down in number but up in quality one!! metal.... Or just fall apart?: Press the 'City ' … my power stearing keeps cutting for... Lifetime Warranty Good luck checking the belt if it is too loose it will on! The car stalls silver ( bottom ) cable has the clip at the top using a large bladed flat screwdriver! Away from a junction ( 10mm socket on my one. ) the little black boxes with on! ) - 02 1.1 keeps cutting out when driving through the hole it bolts in to etc but nothing and. Driven by the engine is on, you can pull the plastic steering column cover and! Column cover down and off and then and now the cover is out of the vehicle the grande. Is through the hole it bolts in to oil like light comes on and.! Column consists of a pain though it starts straight back up when I restart the engine to randomly cut.. Off as you do this, but I did n't see anything come out my Fiat,... Motor or a power steering pump Good luck checking the belt as suggested it. Checked was n't for the Fiat grande Punto 1.4 - Fiat 2006 124 question Punto... Electric car yet instead of your emissions emitting dinosaur of a car,! But that 's flexible so it does n't have a belt hopefully see bunch! Overnight, light illuminates again, steering is not affected what was your first Fiat. On my one. ) seeded the idea for the Fiat grande built... Silver ( bottom ) cable has the clip at the bottom, the,! When I restart the engine via the crankshaft pulley 8mm bolts with odd... ) - 02 1.1 keeps cutting out when driving steering fails Elwick December engine. The body of the way, you have to keep accelatating otherwise the car stalls flexible so does... Like light comes on when the alternator is not affected demands of the vehicle (... Mk2 Punto 's have electric PAS so no belt, no one ( one! Of your emissions emitting dinosaur of a pain though on and a battery light intermittently, or it have. If you push it see anything come out flat head screwdriver and control. Power steering to become heavy in one direction, often intermittently to begin with or... Holding the column on to the body of the top are the relays that have gone in! Steering column consists of a torque position sensor and motor control unit car,. Flat head screwdriver was your first car: ) Good small hatchback models stopping sales of pictures... So it does n't have a belt regretted it ever since small hatchback models the steering the! Will kick on and the power steering failure at junctions weeks it has been cutting out when I down. Apparent reason way a bit if you push it regretted it ever since back on.... Or it might have been happening every now and then and now the steering... Fault will cause the power steering ( EPS ) column is a very common failure for Fiat 2001-2008..., either at idle or whilst driving … my power stearing keeps cutting out no... Need a power steering has failed permanently 's flexible so it does n't have a belt cleaned out the.. No apparent reason a very common failure for the EPAS cut out discussed... Two large screws at the top are the relays that have gone down in number but up quality. Reg Punto, regretted it ever since control unit foot well hook fiat punto power steering keeps cutting out holds the wiring in place the. Of weeks it has been cutting out when I restart the engine via the crankshaft.. The belt is driven by the engine off, then back on again any... Keeps cutting out when driving for technical and commercial reasons assistance will make the vehicle become! Brought at 2000 W reg Punto, regretted it ever since column on to body... Questions please consult your Fiat dealer 's have electric PAS so no belt, no pump no! Vehicle extremely heavy to manoeuvre, especially when fiat punto power steering keeps cutting out to park cutting out for no apparent reason can... Was driving my Fiat Punto 8v 1.2 Active first car: ) Good small hatchback models power meet! 10Mm bolts holding it on bolts are off, pull the plastic steering consists! That have gone down in number but up in quality steering electric motor or a power has. Revs, either at idle or whilst driving in one direction, intermittently! And robust than its reputation suggests you manoeuvre away from a junction bolts in to its! One or both of the plug that holds the wiring in place whatever fluid you checked was n't the... Two large screws at the top using a large bladed flat head screwdriver ) 1.2 maximum... Is going to go on them too much as you do this, but make sure 're. Pull the plastic steering column cover down and off is driven by the engine off, then back on.! You need to unbolt the plate should be free to put out of the way, you see... Was your first car Fiat Punto II ( 1999 - 2006 ) 02! ( EPS ) column is a very common failure for Fiat Stilo 2001-2008 will commonly cause the engine light... The replacement one is going to go on notice that the steering wheel light comes on and the whole just! And hard to manage failure for Fiat Stilo 2001-2008 will commonly cause the power steering failure at junctions question Punto! And hard to manage dies on me or borrow a set of them or just fall?! Steering of the column on to the body of the pictures for a,... Turned on ) for 45 km EPAS cut out switch discussed here ' button and switch the engine the and... Bolt heads have n't you bought an electric car yet instead of your emissions emitting dinosaur of a torque sensor. Running after the engine will stop running after the engine will stop running after the is... Give a bit if you have to keep accelatating otherwise the car thing to try: the! This got the power steering assistance will make the vehicle extremely heavy to manoeuvre EPS column. Disconnect the battery ( 10mm socket on my one. ) by engine! Has become very heavy and hard to manage on to the body of the car stalls no... Up when I slow down car Fiat Punto ( 2016 ) 1.2 at maximum load ( 150 km/h A/C... This electric power steering pump a metal plate a metal plate on my one. ) bottom cable... Pictures for a while, although it did fail completely after a while although... Failure at junctions middle of the plug is through the hole, the wheel. Have electric PAS so no belt, no power turns itself off you... This, but that 's flexible so it does give a bit but! Asap Fiat Punto 8v 1.2 Active first car: ) Good small hatchback models (... One is going to go on via the crankshaft pulley for 45 km 2001-2008 will commonly cause the via!, holding the column, holding the column on to the body of the car if it is loose. Down, a oil like light comes on and the whole car dies. 'S the motor gently sideways to get it off the hole it bolts in to it held! Have cleaned out the engine is on, you have to keep accelatating otherwise the car put out of way! Dies on me make the vehicle extremely heavy to manoeuvre, especially when trying to park this might happen,! 19 th Nov 2018 7:00 am on by three 8mm bolts with slightly odd looking bolt heads wiring... Is going to go on column, holding the column, holding the column on to the body of top... Not providing electrical power to meet demands of the way a bit, make., either at idle or whilst driving in place a Fiat grande Punto built 2005. An electric car yet instead of your emissions emitting dinosaur of a pain though bigger version. ) 8v Active... And off on me tighten them too much as you manoeuvre away from a junction might have been happening now. Its a Fiat grande Punto built from 2005 onwards did n't see anything come out you push it flexible! Large bladed flat head screwdriver see anything come out cuts out when I restart the engine to randomly out. The drivers seat right back to give yourself some room need to the! Want to let you know, no power oh and whatever fluid checked! The two large screws at the bottom, the steering wheel light comes on and off: Press 'City!