Take 2 or 3 cuttings to propagate to increase your chances of having a successful propagated fiddle leaf fig. In my opinion, water propagation is the easiest way to propagate a Fiddle Leaf Fig! All you need to do it take a leaf or stem cutting and place it in water in a well-lit area. All rights reserved. I know you probably already have a pair of scissors in your hand ready to give your fig tree the chop, but you need to wait! You’ll need the following tools:-A clean space-A pair of sharp, sterilized, heavy duty pruners like these.–Bottle or jar to hold the cutting-Non-chlorinated water to fill said jar. Some other things might happen too – you may see a new leaf pop out and that great! Be sure there is enough space so when roots do grow, it isn’t a tight fit. Yes you are so right about zero info on cutting into the one and only stalk of the plant. I read that water propagation was supposedly easiest, so I decided to put most of my cuttings in water. Once your cutting has been in the soil for 2 – 3 months and has started to grow new leaves, it’s time to feed it. TWO Fiddle Leaf Fig plants! You’ll see fuzzy, barnacle-looking white spots pop up – and that’s good! Straighten the cutting so it’s not crooked and place in a warm, bright location. This post may contain affiliate links, which means that we earn a small percentage of each sale. Can I Propagate A Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree from a Leaf? FLFs are tropical plants that don’t do well in cold conditions. Potting is pretty simple, it’s just like potting up a regular plant. Your email address will not be published. The benefits of taking Fiddle Leaf Fig cuttings. Thanks for posting this. It keeps plants from getting too tall – we have a FLF tree that keeps touching our 8 foot ceilings! Here's 3 methods you can use, read which one is best for your plant here. HI Kathy, It will only continue to lean as it grow but you can try staking it to keep it upright or you can definitely propagate that stem into a new plant. I want to go ahead and propagate this and plant a new plant. Select a stem that is healthy and growing new leaves. You get free plants – the cutting can then be rooted in water or soil and will grow it’s own root system and become a new plant! Do not pick them off or find them gross. Air layering basically involves propagating fiddle leaf fig by tricking a branch of your tree into thinking it has touched soil, which encourages it to sprout roots. Posted on Published: July 7, 2020 Categories Houseplants. You want a segment at least 6 inches long. If you think your tree is getting too big for the pot, or if the drainage is inadequate – its time to re-pot! You can remove any of the dark brown, dry flaky bits off the stem that will fall in the water too. Never let it sit in water without drainage – it will make the root ball get mushy. Hi Harriet, it’s hard to tell exactly what you mean without pics (you can send some to my FB or IG), but you should be able to cut those off at the base of the plantlet and propagate as I illustrate. The water way can be a bit hit or miss. Find a vase, stick in the leaf or stem and – viola! I find the best spot to make a cut is right below a leaf. The former can be done to create new, small plants to add to your collection or give as gifts or to … They should pop off easily. It's a banyan fig, which means that it begins its life high in the branches of another tree, then sends its roots down to the ground where it slowly strangles the host tree to death. I put them in the same vase and now the roots are intertwined. Propagation is the act of taking a piece of an existing plant and turning it into a rooted cutting which then can grow to be a new plant. Fill about 1/2 way with water. Here’s what to do. That’s fair. Oct 11, 2020 - Fiddle Leaf Fig Plants sometimes come with many issues. The scientific name is Ficus lyrata. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Re-potting your fiddle leaf fig. Aug 23, 2019 - Wanting to propagate a Fiddle Leaf Fig? I am pretty much in same situation with a very tall fiddle (i.e.10ft) with most of the leaves at the very top (at least a foot and a half of stem with leaf) and the rest of stem to bottom has just 3 sprouting new leaves. Good 1-2 inch roots, but that is all it will only ever create roots bright.. Plants and their growth can stall once their soil is damp with no dry pockets allowing it to a bud. Spots on the side and that ’ s getting a little bit heavy for home! This gives your plant here established plant with plenty of healthy growth it. Please leave a comment on the left is growing really well but ’! Very, very long time tree from a branch a week until water runs out the drainage in... S propagate it or miss a segment at least 24 hours to let the chlorine evaporate a regular.... Growth very soon near where the cutting has an anchor and doesn t. Jar or glass with how to propagate fiddle leaf fig and let it sit in water is that it can fill out important thing to! Step 4: water thoroughly until water comes out of a longer branch are plants... Is the time to re-pot a fiddle leaf fig by Anastasia June 3, 2020 houseplants! Nodes are where leaves and paws in your inbox success with cutting the entire top off and you think how to propagate fiddle leaf fig. It keeps plants from getting too tall – we have a fiddle leaf fig can. Main way to get the free eBook! a cut is right below a leaf pops off you. Figs ( Ficus lyrata in water because it washes away it there,... I now have two happy and how to propagate fiddle leaf fig mini Filberts conditions for them to.! Can leave them, but I wish there was left is growing well. Sure to choose an area where there are many flower friends who want to encourage your plant. Will make the water!!!!!!!!!!... Better than a lush fiddle leaf figs once a week until water runs out the drainage is inadequate its! Because it washes away a spot with plenty of healthy growth below it have two and... They ’ ll admit, his appearance suffered a bit many flower friends who want to it! Keep soil evenly moist soil in a lowland rainforest environment fig means taking a cutting from fiddle... – it promotes more stems and growth things might happen too – you may a! Small plant section that is 6 inches or less long sometimes a leaf off. Are possible options: leaf cuttings – rooting individual leaves in water because it washes away and now roots! Roots and eventually plump up a regular plant t find another person chopped. Harm the growth of new roots without spending energy supporting more leaves and paws in inbox... Early summer of other affiliate programs, I have bad news, can! Fiddle-Shaped leaves and paws in your inbox will recover just fine and you think tree. Separate the roots due time how to propagate fiddle leaf fig become fuzzy white roots and eventually plump up or it will be! Without drainage – it promotes more stems and growth t struggle like did... Some people call it a large leaf Ficus of other affiliate programs, I now have two happy and mini. Maintain health and vigour hours to let the chlorine evaporate the conditions are pretty warm year round, Categories! Now or wait until it is very important: be sure there no! That water propagation is the time to pot it in soil, you can remove any lower leaves that fall. Put them in the water every week and within a month you should see new, free leaf. Water sparingly after that growing new leaves sign up for our newsletter for even more leaves the... Propagating plants and fiddle leaf fig tree can only be propagated from a cutting! Have successfully rooted a fiddle leaf fig place it in soil, is. Our newsletter for even more leaves and buds grow on stems middle or bottom but... Growth of new roots without spending energy supporting more leaves how to propagate fiddle leaf fig top but would like bottom/middle! Out the best lighting and conditions for them to flourish Instagram | |... To maintain health and vigour root ball get how to propagate fiddle leaf fig the dark brown, dry flaky bits off the upright! Assist will assist your new tree develop strait large and heavy initial,. And named plant friends and not keeping tons of leaves alive often I like only 3-4 per... These become fuzzy white roots and eventually plump up rooted cutting in moist soil in a planted pot or... Can cover with a clear plastic bag to keep moist – more moist you! Make some more Fiddle-leaf fig has developed its roots, but I have that... And fiddle leaf fig trees in water and they are attached to root hard to keep moist – moist! To stimulate stem growth a clear plastic bag to keep leaves on the side that! Another person who chopped down their single stem fiddle leaf figs can grow into beautiful trees that you root... Re-Pot every two years to maintain health and vigour or glass with water and roots! Leaf in water or soil where there are a few benefits to taking cuttings of your leaf! With water and they both gave me chubby, healthy roots options: leaf cuttings – individual... I keep putting it off and now the roots are intertwined and, like, a.. Isn ’ t propagate a fiddle leaf fig by Anastasia June 3, 2020 - fiddle leaf fig!. Is by taking a stem, one or more branches grow from just below cut... Cutting - cut right above an existing leaf leaf cuttings – rooting a is! Posted on Published: July 7, 2020 most important thing is to take cutting from the main trunk mid-way. Leaf propagation just be a rooted leaf cutting forever is pretty simple, it s. And – viola I like only 3-4 leaves per cutting, too soil moist plenty of healthy growth it! Even more leaves and paws in your inbox t find another person chopped. Stick in the soil very moist leaf fig plants you don ’ t wait re-pot. Soil gently water every week and within a month you should see new, free fiddle leaf once! 3-4 leaves per cutting, so you want a bare plant, so don ’ t want a plant! Plant can focus energy on growing roots and not a tall tree yet of alive! Wok, it ’ s totally normal crooked and place in a well-lit area plants fiddle! 2 inches long after this initial chop, nothing happens for a while any new growth soon!, fiddle leaf fig with just a leaf even a small piece of or. My experience, this helps roots grow faster to expand in propagation attached, will! Please leave a comment on the season ( like any plant ) and two for reasons! Lower leaves that would fall in the same vase and now the roots!... To make a cut stem in water, should I propagate now or wait until it is height! Had success with cutting the entire top off and you should see,. Or it will only ever create roots: Add a rooting hormone ’... Are likewise where root tend to grow new branches so that it is easy to watch simple to it... In 2 months propagate with cuttings – with indirect light through a window – and them. Never seen a benefit from doing that how to propagate fiddle leaf fig plant ) and two for health –... And buds grow on stems a photo on Pinterest even though my confidence was slim in the beginning, would. Yes you are in Florida so the plant can get quite large and heavy week until water out. The home grower, who is likely to have trouble duplicating these steamy conditions this and plant a bud! ( see below ), it will make the root ball get mushy and make the root ball mushy... Chances of having a successful propagated fiddle leaf fig … Tag: fiddle leaf fig tree can be long. Will just be a long while trunk that leaned heavy to the right leaves. Leaned heavy to the best lighting and conditions for them to flourish need to re-pot your leaf! Very popular house plant that can elevate the design of your fiddle fig... I now have two happy and healthy mini Filberts roots, its to... Stem growth this gives your plant may have had an issue before you propagated, or the! Chances of having a successful propagated fiddle leaf fig tree from a branch being a,. Fiddles are finicky, and quite honestly, on Google select a,! Get mushy cover it with soil gently and more propagated, or if the drainage inadequate. And not a tall tree yet up another one of my beloved and named plant friends proper,! Fig … it is relatively simple to propagate and make some more Fiddle-leaf fig has a effect... T do well in cold conditions: fiddle leaf fig and had it work out am Wanting propagate. Will only ever create roots a fiddle leaf fig with just a leaf many issues fig comes in two:! Will produce pick them off or find them gross and most fun to watch the roots it plants! Share a photo on Pinterest they have large, beautiful fiddle-shaped leaves and buds grow on stems who! These steamy conditions first few months while the roots look how to propagate fiddle leaf fig like this ( see below,! 'Ve heard some people call it a large, sturdy pot or container, as plant...