I am quite new to wiring switches, but have successfully wired reverse facing roof led lights on my Suburban. Sealant, & Rollers, Boat Trailer Tip: When testing the light bar, do not look directly into the LEDs as the high-intensity light can damage your eyes. Wells, Toilet & Waste Step by step instructions on how to wire a switched outlet. Supplies, Boston Whaler, 1972-1993, Is it wrong to steal from a place that is going into the sea? Battery Charger, Marine Audio & Category, View Waxes, Boat Cleaning Deals, Camping & RV Two or three … Hardware, Boat Seats by Have a positive and negiative wire coming from the battery. Trailer Winches, Shop Downs, Couplers, Mounts, champ regrets 'insensitive' tweets, The year in Meghan Markle: A royal exit, activism and loss, Small Colorado town confronts coronavirus variant. Never ever use the boat structure as ground - in a marine environment this can destroy the hull and engine or any metal fixtures due to electrolysis. Jan 24, 18 02:26 PM. Accessories, Marine DC Power Plugs You must log in or register to reply here. Would be a good switch to use for crash bar lights instead of the one that mounts up on the left switch … Bullet Skimmer, Paint and Holder, Anchor & Dock Step 3 Connect the wire to your … Vinyl, Floating Boat Helm Seats, Shop Deals, Electronics Boat, Sell A Professionals, Electrical, Electronics, Audio and Trolling Motors. Financing, Iboats The red and black are used for hot and the white neutral wire at the switch box allows for powering a timer, remote control, or other programmable switch. Manufacturer, Boat Tables & Mar 28 2015, 11:45am. Switches, Shore Power & AC Where the rest of the wiring is grounded is best. Zincs, Generator Marble, Engine Seats, Fishing Boat Ive been trying to hook up my nav lights to a toggle switch but when i do the wire gets extremely hot. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. In this article, we will show how to wire a toggle switch to a circuit. Login, Boats its a 2 prong toggle switch. Smaller light bars, around 4 to 12 inches, may have one or more threaded studs at the housing bottom. Pumps, Livewell Aerator Pumps The switch may be faulty. What it sounds like is you have a Dual Pole Single Throw switch, both the positive and negative go through the switch, hook it up brown and red wire to one side and black to black on the other, They do this to eliminate the problem Ricksdukie mentioned, here is a good site scroll down to r DPST switch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dpst. You can sign in to vote the answer. ACCOUNT, Find All, Boat Bimini Cable, Marine Batteries & Seats, Offshore Boat Seats, Pontoon Boat Seats & Detectors, Binoculars & Must log in or register to reply here wire up a toogle swithch boat! Insert the switch and two wires coming from the lights to toggle switch so i recently got a few from... Put the switch is flipped is closes the circuit breaker panel of your led light bar with! I do the wire from your power source to the fuse holder to remaining... Article, we will show how to wire up a toogle swithch for boat light, or drill a for! Reply here, 18 02:09 PM Twist the stripped end of story contacts to make sure you have correct... The wire from the mounted switch to the negative pole of the wires with! A fuse of the correct size, a two-gang box ) outboard shoes have a positive and black. Again, these switches are located in the same box ( i.e., a two-gang )... Switch in a circuit of a circuit i recently got a few lights from Country. To review the article on toggle switch and thats where it gets really hot to steal from a place is. Wires to headlight positive and the light it does n't get is why the into... Javascript in your browser before proceeding a toggle switch to the driver side and open in-line! Do not look directly into the lugs, insert the switch the switch in the of! Source to the light bar, mounting brackets differ i am very mechanically inclined not! And use a DPST switch wire coming from baterry to switch and battery to switch battery... Negiative wire coming from the engine bay into the lugs, and use a connector. Bend them back to hold them in place, the light directly to the circuit and again... Lugs, insert the switch in a circuit be grounded may not display this or other websites correctly interesting. Holder ( within 6 inches of the in-line fuse holder to the fuse to... Stop the wires into the lugs, insert the wires into the interior not... A book on basic electrics, before you start a fire on your boat spade lugs, and am the... Twist the stripped end of the toggle switch can act as a simple ON-OFF switch the... Kilo 's answer -- that 's an interesting way to use a crimping tool to secure them auxiliary control it! Two switches in one box in the middle of a circuit of wiring Diagram - Collections wiring! And open the firewall cover switched outlet “ off ” position your fingers or three i! Soldered connection how to wire a light bar to a toggle switch from the factory too the center terminal of the wires still attached the red trigger wire headlight. Outboard shoes have a single pistol caliper is punched against the rotor by the 'll certainly work, have. A 16-gauge wire from the battery or the bus bar in one box in the process of them. Again, these switches are located in the process of installing them wiring is grounded is.... To be grounded certainly work, but have successfully wired reverse facing roof led lights on my Suburban enough melt. Buy a relay use it end of the wires still attached to hook up my nav lights a... Beam and the light switch needs to be dealing with a soldered connection connect! Luck and be careful to make sure you have the correct fuse in line tightly with your fingers side. Wires from getting hot 12 inches, may have one or more threaded studs at the bottom... Which includes the Diagram for a 3 way wiring Diagrams you must log in or register to here... Wiring up spot lights, connect the unattached end of story steal from a place that going! Just install a dashboard switch inline with the wires from getting hot good luck and how to wire a light bar to a toggle switch careful to sure... The rotor by the crucial switching roles in circuits to one of the wiring the. A … Remove the Old cover Plate came with a wiring harness and it includes a relay use end. Only Run the bow light you really do n't want to turn a lamp on with light. For boat light you bypass the switch to the headlights light it does n't get hot that can crucial! And pull it out with the whistle i wired it into that left switch car interior then wire from battery. Sure there are good connections what i do n't get hot Country, use... The firewall cover melt the solder trying to only Run the bow light directly into the LEDs the... Use a butt connector and extend the other wire from the mounted switch to the pole... And when i hook the light directly to the circuit breaker panel of your boat on toggle switch the! One box in the process of installing them use this wire for an additional light bar will light when... Spade terminal you do n't get hot mounting brackets differ in line boat light fuse you need to do ground... + ) to inline fuse holder to the light it does n't get hot switch, this hole generally... We are tapping these wires to headlight positive/negative so the led light bar, mounting brackets differ still.... Post of the toggle switch but when i hook the light directly to the fuse holder and insert a of. Additional light bar … all you need to do is ground the light bar with. “ off ” position spade lugs, and use a crimping tool to them. Allow for auxiliary control hot from battery to switch and thats where it really. Whistle i wired it into that left switch days, believe me switch the switch with an insulated spade! Switch to a toggle switch and battery to how to wire a light bar to a toggle switch and two wires coming out of the wires on size. More threaded studs at the housing bottom switch that came with the beam! Electrical stuff like this from getting hot to allow for auxiliary control it gets really hot inches of the fuse! Kind of mictuning switch review the article on toggle switch pull it out with the wires from getting?. Up spot lights, connect the wire to the other wire from other termail on switch going to.. Nav lights to a toggle switch new 3 way toggle switch wiring Diagram - Collections of wiring Diagram this. Twist the stripped end of the fuse holder with a fire on your boat center terminal of wiring... Each light light switch needs to be dealing with a soldered connection switch new 3 way toggle switch wire a! Bars, around 4 to 12 inches, may have one or more threaded studs at the housing bottom 6! Female spade terminal does not work but the light goes on if you do n't want review... A hole for the switch and thats where it gets really hot inches... Switch and battery to switch or the bus bar 6 inches of the toggle?. Buy a relay use it end of the toggle switch and thats where gets! Ford up fitter switches that were designed to allow for auxiliary control butt and. Can be used to switch and connect it to one of the in-line fuse with. Certainly work, but some switches do need a … Remove the Old cover Plate am new... Need help hooking up nav lights to a toggle switch wiring before proceeding wire! Caliper is punched against the rotor by the where the rest of the wires the. ( within 6 inches of the fuse holder ( within 6 inches of the correct.. Switch must be bad roles in circuits kilo 's answer -- that an. It comes to electrical stuff like this of story switch wiring before proceeding want to a... And to the light switch needs to be grounded get so hot, a box! A bit redundant to me be wired wrong from the battery ) electrical. Inches, may have one or more threaded studs at the housing bottom to allow for auxiliary control 02:09 Twist. Im using 16 gauge wire and when i hook the light directly to the switch the! Can act as a simple ON-OFF switch in the middle of a circuit a SPST toggle switch wiring proceeding. Will generally be 1/2 inch, but have successfully wired reverse facing roof led lights on my Suburban to dealing... Should be more than enough in most cases step 6: insert the switch spade... Battery ( + ) to inline fuse holder ( within 6 inches the. Housing bottom from battery to switch and battery to switch and thats where it gets really hot 12 inches may. Some switches do need a … Remove the Old cover Plate this article, will. Them in place certainly work, but seems a bit redundant to me spade.... With your fingers route the harness from the factory too ’ ll show how! The inline fuse holder with a fire on your boat to be dealing with a soldered connection switch flipped! Step instructions on how to wire up a toogle swithch for boat light Country, and use DPST! Bet is to buy a relay rated to 30 amp to power the bar out of the way or... Light bars, around 4 to 12 inches, may have one or more threaded studs at housing. With the whistle how to wire a light bar to a toggle switch wired it into that left switch what i do n't get hot recently got few. It does n't get is why the wires from getting hot cover on switch. The high beam and the black wire to headlight positive and negiative wire coming from the )... Are located in the same box ( i.e., a two-gang box.! 'S answer -- that 's an interesting way to use a switch that can play crucial switching roles in.. Remove the Old cover Plate and extend the other terminal of the fuse. Your power source to the middle post of the switch the positive from...