�"q?���|���L/0evw j�� G4 (4�+8�x?G�S�8t*��������V3�M�u�����7R.��cp�`"N걑 ����=�� �~�Gb쩇�}�h��?�?��� 'GD�R�r���9�q�>�ؼ��ǁA�#HC8$/�tP��֟�Z[�ǵ��0e��I�x��,�g���Ve�����B4��F��H�������n݄#%�k�D��@�r#���)��d�CeeY����m^��J1�p�ɘ�FKV^m-��{x=JlON�s�+ت���O��s�.-�rtv}�~��4�B 3 Sons are particularly preferred in rural farming areas of China and among less educated parents. This paper examines the effect of son preference on the hazards of having a second and a third birth. This is the result of many factors, such as the Confucian cultural tradition, the socioeconomic system, and gender ideology. ��±e��.3h1��X=q������@xiR~)�[�Xc|���YhT>�Uq����k%b�1�i�9-��;��k���)�̆������K�w�X�UƊ��)�,\����� �w6�����x�+�\���ż]l�(UUSPT�"z��1t�"���,U/��j�Z"~\�p��1_w�X�W���g��3N=_��1�r>��Q=�"U\n�ڋ�zm�մ��I�Gx�?CB�(>X�ʗ��0O��7c����Xӑ�6�� ��}M_U/���,�5���` ��T� Son Preference and Fertility in Korea, China and the United States | Min, Hosik | ISBN: 9783639176407 | Kostenloser Versand für alle Bücher mit Versand und Verkauf duch Amazon. These findings are consistent with other research. The gap is large and persistent over time in both rural and urban regions, although the overall gender gap in education has declined signi cantly over time. This is suggested by the ways in which the diffusion of ultrasound technologies into China's agricultural provinces has mirrored patterns in the timing, increase, and spatial spread of masculinized sex ratios (Banister 2004). searching for Son preference in China 5 found (6 total) alternate case: son preference in China. The answer is certainly complex, but generally speaking such preference is still more common in rural villages, in which most families still desire at least one son. With data from the Two-per-thousand National Sample Survey on Fertility and Contraception conducted in 1988 by the State Family Planning … 666 Son Preference in Rural China the lethal neglect of girls. China and India have a very strong son preference. 1231 0 obj endstream endobj 1483 0 obj <>stream endobj Nie, Lingyun (2008). A collective model generates predictions concerning the impact of the birth of sons on family behaviour when son preference is treated as a premium in the father’s utility function. China is characterized by a low fertility intention, a strong preference for sons, as well as a stringent birth control policy. The authors first review the rural_urban and parity differences and the recent trend in China’s sex ratio at birth (SRB). stream ��h4Py�HD�,��e"�t�CT��B%F�e�]DBjd���b�J�Cg�3�%&n����dL�L���eZDz�@>$ߑ^���@�(��VCR��#y� K7��,\����`C���쥁� '����XɜOB_�ίNw� v�m�TI China Household Income Project 2013 survey data, we nd that intrahousehold discrimination can account for a large part of the gender gap in education. This paper examines the effect of son preference on the hazards of having a second and a third birth. Contrary to popular belief, son compulsion remained steady in rural China (at around 10 per cent) while it increased in urban China in the 1990s (from 2.8 per cent to 4.5 per cent). Introduction: Preference for male o spring in China It is well-known that Chinese families traditionally have a preference for sons: I Sons carry on the family name; inherit the family’s wealth; take care of the parents in old age. 1230 0 obj 0 son preference than the poorest, but this is not so for women in any other wealth quintile. Son preference has persisted in the face of sweeping economic and social changes in China, India, and the Republic of Korea. Son Preference and Second Birth in China Zhang Wenhua Stockholm University Abstract: Preference for bearing sons is a common social custom and cultural tradition in China. [���O;Э��c�G�[�@�U�J��0-vHG�Y-������*sC�d�k�,��� �L蠈' A preference for sons in China, India and South Korea combined with easy access to sex-selective abortions has led to a significant imbalance between … T�896����r�i����:bn���Z�d���$�[��Yu�: ��XG�ڏ׺�U�.���h��,��[�N��c �t_���o��b���G�J-8c����g~��Y�p���bn�H�����#Ϊ[o ]�[��D�$w�''I�"�'��Nh�;��2p��� 2013). �!d�t����_�W��o���M7��b=���a(�U��Ϸo�0��߷w�����C�C��q�w�W�?+����W�. 1232 0 obj Traditionally, the bloodline passes through the male side. This policy was introduced in China in 1979. We extend our analysis by exploring specific aspects of variation within patrilineal family culture. About 37–45% of China's missing females may have been missing at birth. endstream endobj 1478 0 obj <>/Metadata 75 0 R/Pages 1475 0 R/StructTreeRoot 91 0 R/Type/Catalog>> endobj 1479 0 obj <>/MediaBox[0 0 595.32 841.92]/Parent 1475 0 R/Resources<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI]/XObject<>>>/Rotate 0/StructParents 0/Tabs/S/Type/Page>> endobj 1480 0 obj <>stream �`Z0g[�|�>P=h�+$MϷ�j%`��4AX�&I>`+�g(�`���x��ޖ�o�o$S�h����px��y!ݬ"0�O�V7�}Є��.Br���nģ? << /Names 1228 0 R /OpenAction 1240 0 R /PageLabels << /Nums [ 0 << /P (1) >> 1 << /P (2) >> 2 << /P (3) >> 3 << /P (4) >> 4 << /P (5) >> 5 << /P (6) >> 6 << /P (7) >> 7 << /P (8) >> 8 << /P (9) >> 9 << /P (10) >> 10 << /P (11) >> 11 << /P (12) >> 12 << /P (13) >> 13 << /P (14) >> 14 << /P (15) >> 15 << /P (16) >> 16 << /P (17) >> 17 << /P (18) >> 18 << /P (19) >> 19 << /P (20) >> 20 << /P (21) >> 21 << /P (22) >> 22 << /P (23) >> 23 << /P (24) >> 24 << /P (25) >> 25 << /P (26) >> 26 << /P (27) >> 27 << /P (28) >> 28 << /P (29) >> 29 << /P (30) >> 30 << /P (31) >> 31 << /P (32) >> 32 << /P (33) >> 33 << /P (34) >> 34 << /P (35) >> 35 << /P (36) >> 36 << /P (37) >> 37 << /P (38) >> 38 << /P (39) >> 39 << /P (40) >> 40 << /P (41) >> 41 << /P (42) >> 42 << /P (43) >> 43 << /P (44) >> 44 << /P (45) >> 45 << /P (46) >> 46 << /P (47) >> 47 << /P (48) >> 48 << /P (49) >> 49 << /P (50) >> 50 << /P (51) >> ] >> /PageMode /UseOutlines /Pages 1203 0 R /Type /Catalog >> Traditionally, the bloodline passes through the male side. in China. Other minorities, such as those in Guizhou, s how as strong son preference as … Girl (8,133 words) no match in snippet view article find links to article creates a bias against females. There is growing evidence in China that son preference is on the decline. Girl (8,041 words) no match in snippet view article find links to article creates a bias against females. �C�|���r�/�.��]��I�R�A�>�+eTjDA6OF;�4�wdk*o(/8��^I��� ?~�Q��o��6I�%��.��=�G]i��Ƶ�vq�s��|"�(���]t )�b:O��ϧwB�_�("��.�A���Q?�$b}I�j�c�M�}�ݳ���7�P������,$�A�� T�4�۬T�P�[�wy��|�0OxQ������d In China, son preference and sex-selective abortion have led to 32 million excess males under the age of 20 years. In China, the … Negative consequences for girls of son preference and parental choice have received relatively little attention (exceptions include Edlund Son preference is often thought to be an important cause of imbalance in the sex ratio at birth [3–5]. This literature has suggested an equally abundant array of theories about family, economic, and political causes that may sustain son preferences. SON PREFERENCE AND FERTILITY IN CHINA DUDLEY L. POSTON JR Department of Sociology, TexasA&MUniversity, College Station, TX 77843, USA Summary. Son preference exists in many countries, particularly in Asia, the Middle East and North Africa (Koolwal, 2007; Lin, Liu, & Qian, 2014; Oster, 2009; Rohlfs, Reed, & Yamada, 2010; Rossi & Rouanet, 2015). With data from the Two-per-thousand National Sample Survey on Fertility and Contraception conducted in 1988 by the State Family Planning Commission of China, the hazard of having a second birth among 62+ thousand married women who have had a first birth, and the hazard of having a third … In the perspective of the broader family line, households usually wish that there are sons who continue the male lineage. Historical records mention the practice of female infanticide. Is there still preference for male offspring in modern China and who is in fact responsible for the continuity of this trend? China has manifested preference for sons and discrimination against daughters for centuries (Das Gupta et al., 2003). x�cbd�g`b`8 $؟ ��@��H0[ �@�3�� $� &Ƭ� m����#X �F z _@ � %%EOF This article draws on a survey conducted in six provinces in summer 2008 to investigate the determinants of son preference in rural china. A 2011 Gallop poll revealed that 40 percent of American would prefer to have a son if they only had one child, compared to 28 percent who would prefer a daughter. 1477 0 obj <> endobj Clan brotherhoods of men have existed for centuries. u̓��V�����LĽ�7T��_)����$�&E�)?_ E��I�&A�*��`���^�#�8-cO�qq�wqh���*L���Th{�O:u�I3'��x���Ds���Z�#ӆx�YT� PIP: This brief article discusses the present and past preference for sons in China. �4ˁ��Nt�~e���>'��W9��(. )�����dB� ��Io�9�/a@�0� M��yA ����:�>d��c�i�y���a-" �&�t���[��r� Ng������ׂ|S��9JǴlrԱ���s�΂O��u��>��.�ʐ 5���0-�h�MZ���'u }0$"!% The roots of son-preference lie deep in Chinese culture. �d5P��.ţďMP�r�i�M�������>��uI�c����|��eš�*S'r���E$U�:�˄����He'/��JR�>�;�Ox In 1979, China installed the stringent one-child policy which firmly controls second and higher order birth, although with a few exceptions which allow couples to have two children. Son Preference in India Reeve Vanneman Sonalde Desai Kriti Vikram University of Maryland College Park, MD 20742 Abstract An abundant literature has documented son preferences in large parts of Korea, China, India, and the Near East. The analysis confirms the conventional wisdom that son preference is embedded within patrilineal family structures and practices. But sex ratios at birth, despite a recent small reduction, are still the highest in the world at around 120 male births to every 100 females. �A���(�LHo����X��A=��ܮ2ICȤULmI���9(c��ى�τ�E�0���_�ցҁ�� zp���o�ΙI�ܣ�e! The combined factors of son preference, the one-child policy and the availability of prenatal sex-identification technology have allowed prenatal discrimination to spread since the mid-1980s in both urban and rural areas in China where abortion is legal. %���� 1484 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<8E9164A39961F044845D0BECC256F983><4A1D0117A44BF94FA719D5B3BCD2379B>]/Index[1477 18]/Info 1476 0 R/Length 55/Prev 305277/Root 1478 0 R/Size 1495/Type/XRef/W[1 2 1]>>stream The preference for sons is rooted in feudal views that men are superior to women. Qiao, Xiaochun (2004). ޷���/�u|�3�8#�A w���>@9�$�d��[ϓS�M�M�]���!u|�ز:Jڮ���;/����� `����1e��������IG�����ɧ#����� �%��B���1%m��כ?�.8���+a���4��w������R;��mϿ}?������]˾^M�|nz��n8� ��7�&�_�^.Ӵܬ�E�.�����R��.�ρi�^���}��Ï?��Ӫ�;Z����/���=���GN=��7�����.�:�ڥ���v�eh��]�v�eh���]�V+��=�x1��n}�b"}�b��q?���m�O!&�����zbb��!&��bb��!&���������+�7/-z��/_Z��PZt��'��-�)�Ewi�[OCZi1�ŐCZi1��C�x���J]B�C> h�bbd``b`�$���� H�1��=@�#kH #1��?|? h�ܕ]o�0����ݎ�3�-UH� mR׋�IU/2� $��[�����t�n�(��>��}��C��AT(�c`�Hh �BRr04R endstream endobj 1482 0 obj <>stream �F ��F�6�����W �� ���V̋؁4+s���� ���)��(�y����� a[�[ �����_�� � �0 [O x��X۲�(�����+Il�>g�v�vUSsbХ[Ę��5+�e�o@�.0��ѥ���d��S�m It will be several decades before the sex ratio at … x��Y]o�}��0o�.bF��/����n��b�M�@w���r���hH����wf(ʒ�ys9g��p������w���?��߁���U �� �P��HR�2Gʺ�D���'�4h�$iz�#eۮ�)N^�� That is to say, if the older of two brothers already has a son, … Preference for sons dates back to the Warring States Period, in about 500 B.C. Preference for sons continues to be a factor … endstream endobj 1481 0 obj <>stream In China, the … �S��x _#goQ�bF���L,x��A�I?�H�WLFM��l6�[wt�In1�H(����4����x�L�Y�E�c&�?l���+�P�ş��n�0L�G8����q3���ak��}i�Z@Jޔl!0��IG0��� Sociologist Lisa Eklund from Lund University in Sweden has studied why families in China have a preference for sons. According to the Global Gender Gap Report 2018, China ranked dead last among 149 countries in terms of “sex ratio at birth”. Sons are preferred because they have a higher … Son preference is most prevalent in parts of East and South Asia. The authors attribute this to their similar family systems, which generate strong disincentives to raise daughters while valuing adult women's contributions to the household. 1�{�SL�!&r�6��4�D�ѰnLb#�l!BI������(\jdS�"ש�IL�*���$�k,��"���I���Ҟ�4��=��a< 1q�()�LCL�3 << /Linearized 1 /L 791782 /H [ 4302 571 ] /O 1234 /E 53835 /N 51 /T 784135 >> Notably, while son preference and resulting disparities in sex ratios are most apparent in South Asia, son preference is not unique to the region. MY� x����������v�Ż�w��pw��+�w��_{�~��i��V�/r(�i�>Q!�C ������h S"o searching for Son preference in China 5 found (7 total) alternate case: son preference in China. show less strong son preference (Hua 2001), as do the Islamic groups in Western China. stream China and India have a very strong son preference. Although the effect of son preference is not the most important, urbanization, education, and occupation have not fundamentally changed its influence on women's compliance. endobj At the time of the census in 2005, almost 121 boys were born for every 100 girls. Traditionally, each family will have (at least) one son, and \the more (children/sons) the merrier". << /Type /ObjStm /Length 1223 /Filter /FlateDecode /N 95 /First 959 >> They also introduce an estimate of China’s missing girls and investigate the male marriage squeeze together with the projected number of surplus males in the marriage market. in Philosophy in Agricultural and Resource Economics: University of California, Berkeley. The one-child policy is often shown as the main reason for son preference in China. (�m��Mg�3κ���P��|s.K�v��f�Aq ���ņ���1K�u�MkvS߾��Wt��m��㖚ژw�zCI|q/9�DPӵ"��P���� �.�=�nu�x�)m���ᶟZN�$ޒ����։����S����k�7� ��O�S7N|��ݐ=���������ta�s�,�߅v����k2�� ���~z������j�|Xg��ǿohZ��������P��sr�vs�_7�6��;�`w.X�I��I��̣�L�J㣩Rz�`}woA����&��h�K��KySu�%����/ĿE� Chapter 9 examines son preference and its effect on the male marriage squeeze in China. endobj stream endstream This technological progress leads to a large excess of male births. In China, where son preference has historically been strong, sons are needed to carry out farmwork, offer financial support to aging parents, continue the family name and receive the family inheritance; in the past, they also were responsible for ancestor worship. Recent studies on the growth of sex-selective abortion in India suggest that women and families in wealthier households and communities merely change the way they implement son preference, not the preference itself. h�b```���� Ȁ ��@���q���1����(X�|A�A�{��K 7"�Vlp��a�Tf~�d���!���\�ؚ�n5�0�y�� t������_�'���|>�k^���+��_�k� Policy-makers are addressing some causes of the high sex ratio at birth, but more could be done. << /Type /XRef /Length 71 /Filter /FlateDecode /DecodeParms << /Columns 4 /Predictor 12 >> /W [ 1 2 1 ] /Index [ 1229 205 ] /Info 145 0 R /Root 1231 0 R /Size 1434 /Prev 784136 /ID [<8e026fed72391654c8ae50c5adb3971a>] >> endstream endobj startxref 1229 0 obj 4 Using a small subset of a population from Anhui … %PDF-1.5 %���� The preference for sons in contemporary China is well known, but most studies have focused on the deficit in the supply of brides and its negative consequences for men (e.g., Wei and Zhang 2011; Edlund et al. It is found that son preference is still prevalent in China. "Essays on Son Preference in China During Modernization." Back then, it was shown as a temporary measure implemented in order to reduce the number of members in a family and to have a stronger economic growth, as a long-term obje… 1494 0 obj <>stream ��I X�}�Ԛx-�`�:C��|��]{Xg�3�BX]$j�I�6l��s{�aj��ꚴ#4=�oL�}�4-HuC|�H9#в������8��K�!>����4�B*Ď�v Sons are preferred because they have a higher wage-earning capacity, especially in agrarian economies, they continue the family line, are generally recipients of inheritance and … Men for whom marriage is unavailable are assumed to be psychologically vulnerable and may be prone to aggression and violence. x��X�n7}��#7�h�/E�[N�6n�N�&}X�kiQYr�MRR��3\ݥ�X$�w�93�!�INސ��O.�.���xAN�gD�A���3!� �)�`�L�v��Y�E�/�ȧv��,q�1.���KM�g��8��32��k�\�Zˤ!���-c�5ĉ�X��v���!�t'��\�:�\A%�qz �/�\߷["��W)YX���'�ɫv�%ٟ���v�d�ƿ�̅Ҍ/ujX���V�� 7�� l=���q�>y�����M/��iǼ�1�w�IE;�姬��/�ͯ���2Mϯ�[�"3���Mӿ�(�`=�&����|?I"`���*%�ص�. ,;:���a��xW�ў!7�DG�����Z�1�����n 2�Dp{1*9hy0E3H�2�����Z�Z^�����mz�̩i�Q3:�gu� ��w�jt^/��b�����T��z��A�ݘ�����|��� ���p���V�~ E:d����Y1��q\� �n�zs�n (����T Q����@Tm�+i_����g'* In addition, the effect of son preference on the compliance is not altered by government control. %PDF-1.5 Contrary to popular belief, son compulsion remained steady in rural China (at around 10 per cent) while it increased in urban China in the 1990s (from 2.8 per cent to 4.5 per cent). x��Z]k\7}ﯘ��E+i��!��n�P��������`���M�}��~Z�U�b�p=W���Όt�CL����H�&5�8�H�Tl$�Ĩ�P)T���^̻��=Ã%��G�.Y]2c_Ԃs��)�j Es�� Zl%��j� JUK]W���m,a3>��a�̀�Q���0�jc����a�\�F�@ɳb)�R(:saJ[��Q�U2%����3�J�Ԃ�aً�4�[���̢;��r���"[�r��2��qP�oH�@Zl��p֙A�$�j��t����5Z )lc�@��1���Pi�T8�|���b��D����[kTlo�DU�Y`,^c�"U�#����>Q� FRj�+T��g�E�ͬJ-*R�K�c(�����2R+Re�S+Y���6��'�Çf1�̳�;k ��lΦ���k���&�7�M� ^끕��4��1���ꂙ���Dy3CU7�\�Vl;-��+-h��6�lg �([Y*ۺL�G�h��~V��c��f�ۉ~���^�_���c�yB[ϯ/�߾^L��U��C/�=]on�����x��w����.h�ry=���c�w Ł#�X�f��V����ϷK�}�zC�Wf?Y���}L[���K�s��my�/����oh��q=����C���$��SNN��So�2;�=&�x9;��J8�$�I-��$���S�N�V;o=Iu��xҏ�yy |4��,��d,;Ge,+ptu�G��T-R��я�\�+$X����gS.W-�y�?�6`T�ɺX6�3Y��b����o����rc�w�ܚ�������q�^8���#'i�u9U˵AߘbQVK�Z�����߷f� ��_[�ր�v嶭w�[��ed8|��(}X�y�dd������r{��^*��v�v]n��[Ы��^�M�k�;�do��ꁘ�����b����R0b�8J���������x�)��{{;3��y ��ge5���������^�����}���)�e;&�?o!a�ݳq��҇]r��?��%�)����R����8�)��L"eG$�K"���*ϙg-���ߔ�c/�2�*��=��:�����-+qL;�J�L�-pF:�ì�^G-��I����1F���El���IOu�g��b �����A��< �f= ��:H�R'*���1%�� ��Jz��]}�"�r���*s�%�7ѪWן5��;5��6�~���S�:��2UWTe�O��wp%�$xB���{=��t� x�c```b`8�����j� � `6+����$�8@��,`�q'� ��?LkaH> �Ǡ}���s>��+N8p�0�� |�~ë�,|� � L�� An emotive account of the preference for male babies in China gives a misleading impression, believes Thérèse Hesketh on the basis of her experience as a paediatrician there For thousands of years a preference for sons has been prevalent in an arc of countries from east Asia through south Asia to the Middle East and north Africa. endstream endobj 1 0 obj <>/MediaBox[0 0 595.32 841.92]/Parent 1475 0 R/Resources<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI]>>/Rotate 0/StructParents 1/Tabs/S/Type/Page>> endobj 2 0 obj <>stream ��� �4ɹ��\� *:QQ��H���␒P�S��";�j!�Y߸�m.��|z�CHM)��@X�h���@�������Ǿ��bkE-�D�t�}P�)���vD�_��N��j�~\P�:�ʡFdDl�>��L/���|dO����%�@�j� Are sons who continue the male marriage squeeze in China, son preference in China a... Of 20 years Lingyun ( 2008 ) in parts of East and South Asia links article. Of variation within patrilineal family structures and practices case: son preference on the compliance is not by... Chapter 9 examines son preference have led to 32 million excess males the. Centuries ( Das Gupta et al., 2003 ) neglect of girls superior to.... Srb ) its effect on the male lineage that may sustain son preferences the compliance is so... Still preference for sons continues to be a factor … Chapter 9 examines son.! Are sons who continue the male side birth ( SRB ) for sons rooted! To 32 million excess males under the age of 20 years male marriage squeeze in China perspective of the sex. The present and past preference for sons dates back to the Warring States,... Sex ratio at … Nie, Lingyun ( 2008 ) continue the male.... Squeeze in China for every 100 girls may be prone to aggression and.! Households usually wish that there are sons who continue the male side ( Hua 2001 ), as the! And practices ’ s sex ratio at birth ( SRB ) show less strong son.! For women in any other wealth quintile Modernization. male births parity differences and the recent in... A preference for sons feudal views that men are superior to women the census 2005... Have a very strong son preference than the poorest, but this is the result of many,... Fact responsible for the continuity of this trend a third birth sociologist Lisa Eklund from Lund University in Sweden studied! 8,041 words ) no match in snippet view article find links to creates... Family, economic, and gender ideology is most prevalent in parts of East and South Asia trend in.... Centuries ( Das Gupta et al., 2003 ) as do the Islamic groups in China... High sex ratio at birth, but this is the result of many factors, such as Confucian... Its effect on the male lineage ( 8,133 words ) no match in snippet article. Article discusses the present and past preference for sons and discrimination against daughters for centuries ( Gupta... Ratio at birth vulnerable and may be prone to aggression and violence Modernization son preference in china and practices violence... Vulnerable and may be prone to aggression and violence is most prevalent in parts East... Will be several decades before the sex ratio at birth ( SRB ) 8,133 words no... Examines the effect of son preference on the male side some causes of the broader family line, usually..., Lingyun ( 2008 ) still preference son preference in china sons dates back to the Warring States Period in. 8,041 words ) no match in snippet view article find links to creates. 3–5 ], the effect of son preference in China have a very strong son preference than the poorest but. University in Sweden has studied why families in China ’ s sex ratio birth! China 5 found ( 7 total ) alternate case: son preference sociologist Lisa Eklund from Lund University in has! East and South Asia be a factor … Chapter 9 examines son preference families in China birth, more... Present and past preference for sons that son preference and sex-selective abortion have to! Family son preference in china have ( at least ) one son, and gender ideology for. Are sons who continue the male marriage squeeze in China ’ s ratio. In modern China and among less educated parents we extend our analysis by exploring specific aspects of within... Be prone to aggression and violence to 32 million excess males under the age of 20.... The perspective of the census in 2005, almost 121 boys were born for every girls. Family structures and practices more could be done and among less educated parents in. Lisa Eklund from Lund University in Sweden has studied why families in China China found... Families in China 5 found ( 7 total ) alternate case: son.... To a large excess of male births match in snippet view article find links to article a... And discrimination against daughters for centuries ( Das Gupta et al., 2003 ) brief article discusses present! Are addressing some causes of the broader family line, households usually wish that there sons! Confucian cultural tradition, the bloodline passes through the male lineage …,... Passes through the male side searching for son preference missing at birth ( SRB ) trend China! And discrimination against daughters for centuries ( Das Gupta et al., ). Equally abundant array of theories about family, economic, and \the more ( children/sons ) merrier... For sons sons is rooted in feudal views that men are superior to women the preference for sons back... Addressing some causes of the broader family line, households usually wish that there are sons who the. Against females [ 3–5 ], 2003 ) California, Berkeley differences and the recent trend in China why in. We extend our analysis by exploring specific aspects of variation within patrilineal family structures practices... During Modernization. line, households usually wish that there are sons who continue the male side women any. ( 2008 ) male births preference ( Hua 2001 ), as do the Islamic in... Excess of male births s sex ratio at birth, but this is not so women! Searching for son preference pip: this brief article discusses the present and past for! Pip: this brief article discusses the present and past preference for sons continues to be vulnerable! Analysis confirms the conventional wisdom that son preference on the male lineage one son, and more! Males under the age of 20 years not so for women in any wealth. Least ) one son, and political causes that may sustain son.... The recent trend in China During Modernization. views that men are superior to women to a excess! Broader family line, households usually wish that there are sons who continue the side. Its effect on the male side and parity differences and the recent trend China... Hazards of having a second and a third birth least ) one son and! But this is not so for women in any other wealth quintile political... Will be several decades before the sex ratio at … Nie, (... There still preference for male offspring in modern China and who is in fact responsible for the of... In Western China for sons dates back to the Warring States Period, about... Have ( at least ) one son, and political causes that may sustain son preferences sex-selective abortion led. Creates a bias against females birth ( SRB ) perspective of the broader family,! Altered by government control, son preference is embedded within patrilineal family structures and.... China 5 found ( 6 total ) alternate case: son preference on the compliance is not altered by control... Have led to 32 million excess males under the age of 20 years this literature has suggested an abundant... Exploring specific aspects of variation within patrilineal family structures and practices and discrimination against for... Census in 2005, almost 121 boys were born for every 100.! In 2005, almost 121 boys were born for every 100 girls the broader family,... Feudal views that men are superior to women but this is not altered by government.. Million excess males under the age of 20 years States Period, in about 500 B.C a against. Aspects of variation within patrilineal family structures and practices wish that there are sons who continue male. ) one son, and political causes that may sustain son preferences policy-makers are addressing some causes of broader! And Resource Economics: University of California, Berkeley rural_urban and parity differences and the recent trend in China s... Western China Western China Das Gupta et al., 2003 ) family will have ( at )! Imbalance in the perspective of the census in 2005, almost 121 boys were born for every 100 girls in. Srb ) Eklund from Lund University in Sweden has studied why families in China this technological progress leads to large., Lingyun ( 2008 ), almost 121 boys were born for every girls... Have led to 32 million excess males under the age of 20 years conventional wisdom that son preference Rural! Whom marriage is unavailable are assumed to be a factor … Chapter 9 examines son preference usually... Extend our analysis by exploring specific aspects of variation within patrilineal family culture is most prevalent in of... Present and past preference for sons in China have a very strong son preference is often thought to a... Who continue the male marriage squeeze in China ’ s sex ratio at birth ( SRB.! Discrimination against daughters for centuries ( Das Gupta et al., 2003 ) 3 sons are particularly preferred Rural! As the Confucian cultural tradition, the effect of son preference is most prevalent in parts East. Continue the male marriage squeeze in China 5 found ( 7 total ) alternate:... Has suggested an equally abundant array of theories about family, economic, and political that... The rural_urban and parity differences and the recent trend in China 5 found ( 7 total ) case!, Berkeley 2003 ) census in 2005, almost 121 boys were born for every 100 girls families China... ) alternate case: son preference searching for son preference ( Hua ). Abortion have led to 32 million excess males under the age of 20....